From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:37:30 EDT

Kaia,

Adaptability is important too. It is important to gain experience from
various museums, and levels of work. Not all opportunities are necessarily going
to be costly, so carefully consider the feasibility on a case by case  basis.

Despite having several years of museum experience, I am considering an
unpaid internship in order to enhance my experience and better my chance for
employment.

Though I've worked for a few museums, they were relatively young
organizations and lacked some of the technology, resources, etc., that limited  my
opportunities to learn. The internship I'm looking at is at a state of the  art
museum.

I am still in the process of determining if the internship is doable for  me.
I am willing to make the sacrifice, because of the potential benefits. For
this internship, I would have to drive 70 miles (RT) 2 days a week. The
internship is 12 hours a week for 6 months. The main issue for me is the  condition
of my car.

Since it takes awhile to process the internship application, I have time to
work on the transportation issue.

It did help me ALOT to work at different museums. The first position I held
for 3 1/2 years was tremendous, and I learned more than I ever expected I
would.  It was great to apply my experience in my next museum job and to keep
building  upon that.

The more you do, the more opportunities, etc you will have so my  advice is
to not limit yourself to one degree or to not take advantage of  volunteer and
internship possibilities. In retrospect, some of the volunteer  time I spent
was a REAL sacrifice...but this is how I learned to determine the  feasibility.

Pam

In a message dated 8/25/2005 11:21:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,