From:
Joyce Cheney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 23:43:10 -0500
Many of the entries to this listserv are words of encouragement to people
who can't find jobs or to people who are thinking of entering the field.
Encouragement can be a really good thing. Eyes-open honesty is also be a
good thing.

The field is glutted, pay is terrible and the glut will only get worse as
university programs expand.

College and universities add museum studies programs (1) to prepare
professionals/improve practices, and (2) because there's a market for it --
because people will pay tuition for it! They start/expand programs in
whatever people want -- not necessarily what the job market needs.

When an young person asks me about entering the field, I encourage them not
only to consider how much they might like the work, but how willing are they
to live the lifestyle that this line of work "supports?" I don't regret it,
but it's my second career, "supported" by my first. Many of the museum
studies gradates I know are either under-employed or not even in the field,
or are working in very low-pay jobs, really supported by their spouses.
 That's the facts.

jc