From:
Callie Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:07:30 -0400
Absolutely not!!!  I am currently in the process of hiring a summer intern
and I expect them to already have relevant experience and a degree.  I am
more lenient with volunteer interns, but I still expect them to earn their
keep and "loving history" is not part of the job description.  I learned
the hard way that accepting anyone who walks through the door with a "love
of art" can end up being a disaster and a waste of everyone's time.  That
being said, I think that basic intelligence and common sense can be a lot
more valuable then specific skills.  If you have an intern who can learn to
do A,B and C quickly and has good research skills, they can be a lot more
useful then one who already knows X,Y and Z, but can't problem solve or
think on their feet.

Honestly, I don't care if they stay in the profession or not.  Who knows
where they're going to end up in life.  I wish them all the best, but their
life is not my business or my concern.  Perhaps your experience will
inspire them to become your future big donor.  As long as they are
satisfied with the experience and the museum gets something useful out of
their time, then everybody wins!

What has shocked me is how few applicants (some of them very good and well
educated) know how to format a cover letter.  It's not hard to Google these
things.  Why does no one know where to put the date? Or that you are
supposed to actually *sign* your name???

--
Callie R. Stewart
Collections Manager