From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:03:32 -0500
Gail asks about payments to museum staff as honoraria for lectures,
workshops, etc.

(Note that there is no such word as "honorariums.")  An honorarium is not
the same as "compensation" or a set fee for services rendered.  That is why
it has its name; it is honorific.

I believe museums should encourage their professional staff to accept
"outside" assignments, and let the individuals decide how to handle an
honorarium.  Unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise, the museum
should need no policy on accepting honoraria.   At a state museum agency, we
wrestled with this and the arguments were just not worth the time spent.
Lower paid staff needed the extra income when it was available, which was
only rarely.   At this private museum, it's a matter of personal choice.

(1) It should be accepted.  Rejecting the payment sends a message that the
professional's employer is giving away the services of its staff.  No museum
should be sending that message. (2) It can, if the recipient wishes, be
given over to the museum as a gift.  (3) If the recipient chooses, it can be
kept and reported to the IRS as income, or given to some other charitable
organization.

Government institutions do tend to restrict the acceptance of honoraria or
any other kind of payment for services rendered.  On the other hand, faculty
at government universities may usually accept such extra income.

I wonder whether these institutions allow their staff to accept the $200
payment made by the AAM for its MAP surveyors?  That is an honorarium, the
money comes from the IMLS grant for the MAP program.
Ross Weeks Jr.