From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 10:07:03 -0600
We made several stabs at over the counter accounting software, non of which
fit our needs.  The deficiency arose from the fact that we needed "fund
accounting" software and there was none available for less than about
$2500.

So, I was finally able to convince the Board that we should contract with
an accountant to do our monthly "complilations" and our annual audit.  That
costs us about $2500 a year but saves far more than that in staff time.  If
you are going to do your accounting in house, you are going to spend far
more than that on a staff person who is trained in fund accounting.

Don't know what size museum you are and whether you  can afford an outside
accountant.  If you are small enough, i.e. don't write many checks each
month, you might be able to find a local who will do it pro-bono.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
100 East Cedar