From:
Roy Hemmat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:40:20 GMT
Jennifer, based on your described use, some suggestions:

Try using ordinary modeling clay (sculpter's clay). Take a knife, cut off
some slabs with surfaces as flat as possible, and about the size you need.
Let them dry. (An afternoon in the sun should do it). Then take some
sandpaper (medium) and sand down the sides. At least the surface that
you'll soon be hacking away on. (For best results, finish with fine
sandpaper).Now that you have a nice clean smooth surface, draw the desine
with ordinary pencil. You can then carve out the design. The edge of a
sharp knife, some spoons, dental tools, whatever you need to use. It's
somewhat akin to carving soap.(really hard soap, that is). - I "discovered"
this technique about a year ago when I needed to make some Mayan glyph
tablets. If you have questions about this, please do not hesitate to
contact me.

I'd also recommend getting your hands on the fantastic book "Hieroglyphs
for Travelers" . You can find it on Amazon.com, I believe. It provides
excellent tutorials on what those funny squiggles REALLY mean. Authored by
2 Egyptology experts who also lead tours to the region. The book is not
expensive, and the photos alone are worth the price.

Roy Hemmat
http://museumstuff.com - Find 1000's of museum
links and resources .. sign up for our FREE newsletter.