Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:06:50 -0700
It will be interesting to see what the professionals say in response to what you have indicated here.

Let me respond as a lay person who regularly visits museums.  If I go someplace, I regularly take pictures of the signs to identify where it is I was.  It's not to steal anything; it is simply to make sure, when I get home, I remember what it is that I saw.  The signs frequently put a place card to a picture.

I can't speak to what happened on Flickr, but maybe that's the reason.  I don't imagine someone was trying to steal the exhibition, because I wouldn't put it in Flickr if that were the case.  And, it could have the effect that, upon seeing there is so much detail there, it could provoke others to want to see it in person.

Like I said, it will be interesting to see how it plays here with the in crowd.  But as someone on the other side of the coin, I'd chance to guess it was done in innocence, ignorance, or both.