From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:51:50 -0400
There are a lot of gas/oil type museums around. I'm working on a book about petroleum marketing equipment and one thing I have learned is a lot of local history and science museums have small displays on either the history of petroleum marketing, including historic pumps, or on
where gas comes from- how it's refined and the scientific information. These possibilities are endless and offer a wide range of quality and value, so I am not sure how far you want to pursue those.

I have found some museums for the history of petroleum marketing, none of which I have found on the web. Because these seem to be self-started museums by collectors, perhaps they have closed. The General Petroleum Museum, founded by Jeff Pederson, is in Fort Townsend, Washington.
And in Colorado- I think Littleton, but that might be in my head for other reasons- in the 1970s someone opened a museum with a number of historic pumps and other marketing equipment. I have seen no references to this museum past 1978.

For corporate oil museums, Shell Oil has a museum. Since my company put it together, I would be more than happy to put you in contact with the right people. Two other of the big oil companies are currently in the process of starting museums, but they won't open for some time. I
would assume the other big oil companies like ExxonMobil would have museums somewhere as well.

Louisiana has a museum which seems based on oil rigs. The International Petroleum Museum  is located at- http://www.rigmuseum.com/ I've used their webpage for info, but don't know about the museum itself.

One thing I have learned working on my project, there is a lot of oil history in Japan and the people involved are very willing and happy to share it. Whenever the association I'm working for sends out a plea for photos or memories, a disproportionate number of those replies come
from Japanese members. We have some amazing photos from them. I would think you could get amazing amounts of things by talking to your retirees or long-time employees.

If you need anything else, I have alot of information on gas history, please let me know off-list and I can either help you or point you in the right direction.

Pamela Feltus
Historian
The History Factory

 $BL,86!!