From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:26:04 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-19 17:02:13 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

> All this talk about interning and volunteering...so, I'd like to know who's
>  paying their rents? I just don't understand how anyone can financially
>  survive volunteering or interning exclusively in the "hopes" for a paid
>  position somewhere down the line? Its ridiculous!

Nancy and others,

I know we've covered this before but I'll offer my 2 cents again: one way to
do it is to pick a place where the cost of living is high and then beat the
cost of living. How? Work part-time in the food service industry - you never
have to *buy* food again. Then, find a place to live where you don't pay rent
- I lived in a barn during grad school and during my first "fellowship." No
kidding, I used to be a horse trainer before I switched careers and I cleaned
stalls, rode and broke horses on the training farm in exchange for room and
laundry privileges. This won't work for everyone, but you can live with ornery
old widows like the law student in "The Rainmaker," or with a family that
needs weekend babysitting, housework, whatever. Moral of the story: if you
want to be in this field bad enough, you'll find a way to suck it up until you
get that job, won't you???

I've been unemployed twice and been REALLY close to cashing it in (right,
Claudia?
:-), but it all finally worked out. I'll never say it was easy, and I am
currently in excess of 65K in debt (ha! beat that!) as a result of my decision
to only take a job in the DC area, and from the extreme competition in this
field. And another thing before I climb down off my soapbox (I apologize for
the rant, Dennis Miller just inspired me;-), somebody said 25-50 applications
national advertised positions. Hello?? We've received more than 200 for our
Education Coordinator position at HSW (I've been trying to get a hold of the
position description to post on Museum-L, but our Director is out of town, and
since I don't know what the salary will be, I wouldn't DARE post it without
it!!!;-)

- Adrienne