From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:35:09 -0500
John

How I handled this:
1. Had a separate page of salary history that I included.

2. Had the letter's of reference on my computer. I could suggest modifications to suit the position in question, email the letter to the reference. The reference could then adapt an earlier letter and forward it to the potential employer or back to you for enclosure in the application package.

The salary history is awkward because I always debated on including the benefits.  As those of us who have worked for private non-profits well-know, benefits are not always a given.  Consider that most application forms required for government employment are very specific about salary histories, number of hours worked per week and other details.

So far as letters of reference, I like them to be addressed specifically to the position and have a current date on them.  I can see no reason for letting the interviewer suspect that I have looked at any job but theirs in the last six months.

I tried to be compliant with the employer's request. If I had significant issues with those requests, I would need to weigh what that might mean and how to proceed.

In short, be as compliant as you comfortably can to reasonable requests.

As an employer, what criteria I used to eliminate applicants depended upon the given pool.  I took the best three to five for an initial interview.

I have had people bring partners to the interview site, and no only visit briefly with them between interview segments but exchange a kiss. I've also had people who were obviously high interview with me. I've received embarrassingly incomplete applications. I've had people submit old applications and applications with hand-written corrections.  I'm looking for people who show good judgement and can follow directions.

If others in the applicant pool behave like this, I will be more inclined to overlook an occasional omission. You may, for me, offer to bring letters of reference to the interview. This would mean that your references would only be put to the task of writing a letter when you were in the top few candidates.  On the other hand, don't let me know that you didn't think my job was worth bothering your references.

I have had employers pursue me when I purposefully omitted items from my application package.  I'm sure if I had received what seemed to be an  excellent but incomplete application amongst several mediocre ones, I would encourage the candidate to complete that application. It will simply depend on who it is on the other end.

Good luck in this sometimes uncomfortable endeavor.