From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:15:08 -0500
The career advisors I read are all fairly unanimous: never, never, EVER give your current salary until after they have made you an offer and you are in negotiations.  And even then, be careful.  If you give the potential employer this info up front, they are likely to do one of three things:

1) Conclude from your high salary that you cost too much and not interview / hire you

2) Conclude from your low salary that you don't have enough / the right kind of experience, and not interview / hire you

3) Conclude that, since you were willing to work at x salary in the past, you would be willing to do so again, even though x is much less than they're willing to pay for this position

Until they make you an offer, the employer holds all the cards.  Don't give them one of yours, too.

(If they insist there are any number of polite dodges, all revolving around the theme of "it's too early to be discussing salary, before I get to know more about the position and you get to know more about me."  And if they refuse to continue without the information, run, do not walk, away.  You don't want to be working for people like that.)

-- Eugene Dillenburg
Exhibit Developer
Science Museum of Minnesota