From:
Roger Wulff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:03:00 -0500
Dear Deborah and Others:

> 3.  Have a knowledgeable consultant work with you on selecting a
> climate control system.  If your local HVAC installers/suppliers do
> not understand the needs of climate control in museum storage (or have
> never installed a museum system or are unfamiliar with the system you
> have chosen), look elsewhere.

I agree with you.  Since climate control plays such an important role in
a storage facility (or in a museum itself) the HVAC system you select is
very important - not only in maintaining the temp. and humidity within
the facility for the operational life of the facility - but also in the
operating costs for that system (24 hours a day - 7 days a week) over
the life of that system.

One of the items we consider in conducting a Value Methodology Study on
the design of a museum facility is the Life Cycle Costing of major
systems proposed by the designer.  Life Cycle Costing considers the cost
of operating a particular system (HVAC or security, etc.) over the life
of that system.

In practical terms, it may cheaper to purchase a more expensive HVAC
system because that system cost less to operate and maintain over its
functional life.

Another item to consider, is the service and support a local firm will
provide for that particular system.  Always important in the purchase of
any major system.

Kind Regards

Roger Wulff

Visit our NEW "ONLINE" MUSEUM BOOKSTORE AND
TREAT YOURSELF TO A BOOK - VISIT OUR NEW "ONLINE"
INTERNATIONAL CRAFT SHOP AND ASSIST THE CULTURES
WHICH PRODUCED THOSE OBJECTS

at:     http://www.MuseumServicesIntl.org

Museum Services International is a non-profit organization which
provides services in all areas of the planning and development of
cultural institutions and museums - especially in the new area of
"Economuseology."