From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:04:51 -0400
After reading a few of these I just felt I had to comment, from the side of
a small history museum that makes ends meet -- barely -- because we do stuff
quick and dirty and miraculously, people seem supportive (could it be our
scintillating personalities?):  I guess I tend to be extremely loyal to
whatever institution I am presently associated with, BUT I think that if the
money were there, we'd get it.  Now we could all become super museums
(reference an earlier post on this topic) -- all of us in Montgomery Co., PA
could join together and become one heaving mass of interpretation --
however, that wouldn't create more jobs.
We are our institution's BEST resource.  And I am sure the powers that be
would love to pay us what we need... if they could.
So, at the end of a very long day, perhaps we need to find some acceptance
in ourselves.  For those of us who are employed, we can be savvy and smart
(like the wondrous Clock Boy!  Loved that story!) and always be on the
lookout for funding opportunities, even if that's not your job description.
I guess I can't say much for those seeking jobs...I think it's a combination
of luck, very good manners, enthusiasm, some experience and schooling.
Bette Midler once said that you have to think you're the greatest thing
since sliced bread, but know that you aren't. That works for show business,
and almost any other business.
Having an amateur theatre background, I've always felt one of the appeals
that museums held for me (and they are legion) is their theatricality.  And
I've always approached interviews like they were auditions.  Don't know if
that is helpful at all, but take it for what it's worth...
Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
(without the quotes).