From:
"Scher Thomae, Dawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:26:16 -0500
Since I have worked with high school interns for years and have done
presentations on programs for teens at museums, here are a couple of
pointers:

*Ask them what they would like to do or learn as you develop the
program.

*Make sure the experience is meaningful and worthwhile to them.

*Ensure the museum staff is willing to work with teens and there is
someone there directly assigned to supervise and mentor them.

*Make sure there is a social aspect to any program in addition to the
educational one.

*Don't schedule anything before 10am.

*Make sure there is food involved in some way.

Many teens are interested in career exploration and gaining relevant
skills at this point so visiting professionals in the field at different
sites is a possibility.

I am sure others can suggest specific programs suitable to your
historical society.

Dawn Scher Thomae

Milwaukee Public Museum