Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:13:06 -0700
Maggie, as Barbara was aware of the Fox and ASCAP databases, we addressed her two specific questions;  1:  what has been others' experience with this;  and 2:  who is responsible for securing composer and performance rights - each venue or her facility...  valid questions on her part.   Perhaps Cathy's post, forwarded by me, wasn't clear.

1:  Our experience shows that when you're dealing with those who hold any of the rights, there is no set fee or guidelines.  They will quite possibly want to know how many venues are included in the exhibit's tour,  how much of the music is used, if they are planning on providing any of this material for sale.   And if you wish to edit a shorter version of the song (change it's linear structure in any way), they may  charge you for that right as well.

I'm sure they can come up with many more parameters.. like how many people estimated to visit, etc.

They  have the power to determine their own fee for it's usage - whether used once, or at many venues.  They could even decide that one must pay more for it being used in the Met than at a small museum in Idaho because of possible exposure to larger numbers of listeners.

Bottom line, there are no rules and rate cards for licensing.  After their questions, the fee is  totally up to their own discretion.  If I call in with a request one day, and you the second, it is entirely possible to have two completely difference prices for the same request.  If you have a working relationship with them and I don't, chances are you will get a better rate.   That is our experience with this.

2:  As Cathy pointed out - leaving each individual venue to duplicate this work  for the exhibit would be counterproductive and a nightmare.  Obviously, it would be simpler for one entity to handle that arena for all venues involved.  Most probably, it would be more cost effective as well, as pointed out the the above paragraph.

Needless to say, as Barbara researches the issue and the "devil in the details", I have no doubts she will make optimum decision for her budget and time frame.

Terri