From:
Barbara Batson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:23:35 -0400
        Dear Listers,

        A colleague and I are planning an exhibition for July 2002 based in
part on the 1929 Okeh Records recording session in Richmond, Virginia.  Okeh
Records recorded a wide variety of music and commercially released 78 rpm
records featuring several of the bands.

        We plan to have listening stations in the exhibition so that patrons
can hear the wonderful (and sometimes wacky) sounds of artists such as the
Tubize Royal Hawaiians, fiddler Babe Spangler, and the Sparkling Four
Quartet.  We understand that we have to secure performance rights for those
songs that are still protected, and we are aware of the online databases of
ASCAP and the Harry Fox Agency.

        Our question is this: has anyone else negotiated these rights for
commercial recordings in an exhibition and, if so, what was their
experience?  Also, if the exhibition traveled complete with audios, who was
(or should be) responsible for securing performance rights?  The Library of
Virginia or the contracted venue?

        This is new territory for us.  Any suggestions will be received
gratefully.

Barbara C. Batson
Exhibitions Coordinator
The Library of Virginia