From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:28:38 -0800
>I have a rather odd question that no one seems to be able to answer.  What
>would
>the years 2000-2009 be called?  Since we live now in the 90's (nineties) and
>last decade was the 80's (eighties), what would the next decade be called?  I
>have asked many people and no one seems to know.  What was the decade referred
>to in the twentieth century? Or is that not a relevant question?  Any ideas,
>please post.
>
>Wendy Wiener

How about the pre-teens?  The "aughts" is okay, but we aught naught jump to
any conclusions.  Somehow I can't imagine advertisers saying
"...Introducing the new 2005 Ford . . . The car of the aughts!"  This is a
big problem.  For the time being, let's just call it "the next" now, "this"
then, and "the last" afterwards.  Did you know the Roman numeral for the
year 2000 is MM?  Hey, how about "the MMillenium?"  ("... 2005 Ford. The
car of the MMillenium!"  That works, huh?)  M&M's candy is going to have a
field day!  Imagine the year 5000!  MMMMM....what a thought.

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President
Director, Alyce de Roulet Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, California 91103  USA
(818)396-2397vox (818)405-9104fax