From:
Lynne Teather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 01:51:24 -0500
 I have actually read  Dr. Jane's volume "Museums and the Paradox of
 Change: A Case Study in Urgent Adaptation" and I can assure you that
 it is a ground-breaking work for the museum field in Canada and inter-
 nationally. It compares to Elaine Gurian's "Institutional Trauma"
 except that it is a case study, of which we have all too few in
 Museum Studies. What is exceptional is the frank and
 thoughtful approach of the author which includes statements from many
 staff as well as other museum colleagues including 3 museum directors
 (two from Canada- Ontario Science Centre and MicMichael Canadian Art
 Gallery; one from Glasgow)as well as a museum management consultant
 and instructor, all of whom offer compelling and even critical reactions
 to Janes' analysis.

 I recommend the work very highly to all and I get no commission.

 Please note that the cost of the book could not possibly cover the
 real cost of its production. This is  not a profit-making venture.

 I also believe that this step of a  museum taking a lead in producing
 an important publication for  museum management discussion is laudable
 and to be celebrated. We have all too few outlets for Museum Studies  ,
 however defined.

 The work is also a testimony to the Glenbow's struggle of the recent
 five years and tho their Director's commitment to the theories of
 Learning Organizations.

 I note that the work is dedicated to "...all Glenbow staff-those who
 have left and those who remain."  I hope that other museum directors
 will show as much care and sensitivity to the people who work in
 their museums as this director as museums face the challenge of re-
 engineering.

 Happy reading,

  Lynne Teather,
  Prof., Museum Studies Program,