From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:58:48 -0600
Jim-
Since you brought up Disneyland I can tell you that much of my retail
experience is associated with Disney and they do put expirations on their
gift certificates but not their ticket packages.  They do not on Ticket
packages to entice people into purchasing more days, but a ticket purchase
today would only be usable at parks in existence when the ticket was
purchased and not on any new park that was opened.  Also, there was a time
limit on those e-tickets, I almost positive that they are not honored today.
If someone comes in with one they  might (but I don't think so) still be
able to apply its face value to a current ticket, but they would not just
get admission into the park.

Also, because The Disney Stores (yes this is a part of the corp.) do put
expiration dates on their gift certificates they have a standing policy to
allow Management to okay any expired gift certificate, but they are not
required to accept them. We often listened to why people had not redeemed
them in time and tried to be fair.  In fact, where I worked, only once did
we ever turn away an expired gift certificate and that was because we were
positive it had been stolen from someone who was probably collecting the
decorative gift certificates.  Also, gift certificates are only good for
merchandise and not for tickets or Disney Dollars.

The only type of certificate that currently does not have any expiration is
Disney Dollars which is used just like cash.  This money is accepted at all
venues owned by the Disney Corporation and is therefore the most flexible.
These dollars can be exchanged for cash and are good on any product except
gift certificates.  These are more popular than gift certificates but only
because they can be purchased at any store or park and used everyone
including food vendors.

Tracie