From:
Patricia Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 20:24:04 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>
           [log in to unmask] "Richard Caldwell" writes:
> In addition to traditional media, we want to use hands-on devices to deliver
> some of the exhibit concepts and content.  For example, having learners
> physically stack the number of cans that come from one salmon,  measure how
> fast they disassemble a Velcro salmon, or look through opposing
> stereopticons at contrasting  views of cultural stereotypes, etc.
>
> Has anyone out there worked with similar concepts, content  or delivery
> devices?  We are also considering working with local artists to create a
> space for the community to respond to issues of technology  and culture in
> their daily lives.  We would love to hear  your  ideas, contacts, words of
> encouragement or words of warning!

At the recently opened Buckinghamshire County Museum, we have used a wide
variety of hands-on devices.  The 'Touch of Bucks' Gallery is multi-
disciplinary, and divided into eight (changing) themes including  'wood'
(ecology, economics, woodworking tools, wood decorative art), 'Celts and
Romans', 'jewellery', and 'villages'.  Hands-on devices range from wood
samples to a tiara to try on.  There are several multi-media interactives,
too.

Advice (we haven't done the evaluation yet, this is just off the top of
my head):
* simplicity seems to work well.
* we are verging on being under-staffed on the ground, and are very pleased
  that early in the design stage we threw out all ideas that were not self-
  resetting (who is going to reassemble the Velcro salmon?).
* we have included in each theme something which can be done by a toddler.
  - these are popular with more than this age range.
* we should have made the train in the 'farming' section a bit bigger:
  children want to sit in it, not just 'take the produce to market'.

--
Patricia Reynolds
Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum / Freelance Curator

16 Gibsons Green
Heelands
Milton Keynes
MK13 7NH