From:
"Patterson, Courtney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:08:18 -0400
Pamela,

Sorry I haven't responded to your questions about assessment sooner - I was
out of the office on Friday to attend the tail end of the ACM conference and
moderate a roundtable discussion there on boards.

First of all, thanks for the compliment on our work.  We have come a long
way in the past few years, and really work hard to create innovative and
exciting programs and publications, and to get our name out in the field as
a resource as well!

You raised some very interesting questions in your message about assessment.
You are right in that it is a very tricky issue, and that many boards do not
engage in the practice.  However, there are ways to get your board involved.
All you need is one person to be excited about the idea and to champion it.
Since we at the MTA believe strongly that the board and the director are a
leadership team, and that when assessment occurs it should involve both
partners, either a board member or director would be an appropriate person
to take ownership of the process.

One of the best ways, I think, to "sell" the board on assessment is to
stress that both the board and the director will be assessed.  Assessment
often gets a bad rap, it is really about organizational strengthening.  A
good assessment tool should let you know a variety of information -
including what you are doing really well, and what areas need improvement.
Whoever is promoting the idea of engaging in the process should let the
board know this - that's it's not going to be all bad news, that they will
discover what they are doing really well also.

While some board members are more knowledgeable and engaged than others, all
board members should want to build the strongest institution possible.  And
assessment is one of the easiest ways to do this - it's a clear way to see
your strengths and weaknesses and gives you concrete information to help you
build your strategic plan, identify areas of concern, and to set goals and
priorities.

As far as worrying about someone "hijacking" the process, if one is using a
good assessment tool and has a strong leader running the process this
shouldn't be an issue.  A good assessment tool is objective, not subjective.
The way that our tool works is that individual board members and the
director fill out forms on their individual performance, the performance of
the board as a whole, and the director's performance.  The person leading
the process then compiles this information, and it is presented in a variety
of ways, including charts and graphs.  Done this way, with the right leader,
it would be very difficult for someone to use it to further their own
personal agenda.

Coincidentally, our latest newsletter contains a detailed article that
answers many of your questions in much more depth.  (You asked such great
questions it's hard to give a concise answer.)  If you respond to me
off-list with your address, I would be happy to send you a copy when it
comes out.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Courtney

Courtney Patterson