From:
Michael McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:39:20 -0500
>Date:    Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:52:51 -0600
>From:    Rainey Tisdale <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dura Seal Renovator on hardwood floors
>
>Does anyone have any experience with Dura Seal Renovator by
>Minwax? Our maintenance crew wants to use it on the hardwood
>floors in our historic building. I'm looking into affects
>artifacts and people that might be exposed to fumes as well as
>the floor itself. Please respond off-list if you've used this
>product.
>
>Rainey Tisdale
>Collections Manager
>The Bostonian Society
>206 Washington Street
>Boston, MA  02109-1773
>617-720-1713 x24
>617-720-3289 Fax

Rainey,

The following link will bring you to the Dura Seal Renovator webpage
where you can download the MSDS sheet. While Minwax makes excellent,
durable, products it can be seen from the MSDS information that Dura
Seal Renovator is high in VOC content, flammable, and contains
ingredients that are suspected carcinogens.
http://www.duraseal.com/sections/products/mb/renovatr.htm

When applied properly, after hours, in a well ventilated space, there
is a low threat of harm to the building, collections or patrons. The
installer is exposed to the greatest risk.
A building and maintenance program that embraces sustainability and
concern for the environment might look to alternative products that
are low VOC and do not contain carcinogens. These products are newer
to the market and may not have the excellent service record of
products like the Minwax line.

I have provided some links below for some companies advertising
"green" floor sealers. There are many others. I cannot recommend any
specific brands since I have not yet had the opportunity to observe
their performance in the field over time. If you are interested in
pursuing this path, many manufacturers will send samples that you
could test in small areas.

http://www.pioneer-eclipse.com/products/chemical/

http://www.ecoproducts.com/Building_Division/PaintsFinishe/OS.htm

Mike