Re: MUSEUM-L Digest - 26 Oct 2003 to 27 Oct 2003 (#200
Date:    Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:52:51 -0600
From:    Rainey Tisdale <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Dura Seal Renovator on hardwood floors

Does anyone have any experience with Dura Seal Renovator by
Minwax? Our maintenance crew wants to use it on the hardwood
floors in our historic building. I'm looking into affects
artifacts and people that might be exposed to fumes as well as
the floor itself. Please respond off-list if you've used this
product.

Rainey Tisdale
Collections Manager
The Bostonian Society
206 Washington Street
Boston, MA  02109-1773
617-720-1713 x24
617-720-3289 Fax

Rainey,

The following link will bring you to the Dura Seal Renovator webpage where you can download the MSDS sheet. While Minwax makes excellent, durable, products it can be seen from the MSDS information that Dura Seal Renovator is high in VOC content, flammable, and contains ingredients that are suspected carcinogens.
http://www.duraseal.com/sections/products/mb/renovatr.htm

When applied properly, after hours, in a well ventilated space, there is a low threat of harm to the building, collections or patrons. The installer is exposed to the greatest risk.
A building and maintenance program that embraces sustainability and concern for the environment might look to alternative products that are low VOC and do not contain carcinogens. These products are newer to the market and may not have the excellent service record of products like the Minwax line.

I have provided some links below for some companies advertising "green" floor sealers. There are many others. I cannot recommend any specific brands since I have not yet had the opportunity to observe their performance in the field over time. If you are interested in pursuing this path, many manufacturers will send samples that you could test in small areas.

http://www.pioneer-eclipse.com/products/chemical/

http://www.ecoproducts.com/Building_Division/PaintsFinishe/OS.htm

Mike
--