From:
Perian Sully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:04:56 -0800
Great project, Dan! I love this kind of stuff :)

I'm currently working on something similar for San Diego Museum of Natural
History, transcribing field note journals that we had digitized at the
Internet Archive. There are three separate projects, but we're working on
the software side of things before we start adding functionality. In the
past couple of weeks, our interns have transcribed 200 pages, and the
developer has added in some visualization for subjects (to see frequency of
topics around a central subject) as well as status updates. The software,
FromThePage, is available open source (
https://github.com/klauberpilot/fromthepage ) and Ben Brumfield, the
developer, is really responsive to change requests, so we've really come a
long way since December. We're looking to follow a similar model as you
propose, for these journals, as well as some 1905 bird counts that will link
to a contemporary count for comparison.

Please contact me privately for the link to the Klauber journal
transcription project and the user manual/walkthrough to see how it works
and if it'd be a fit for your project (we're still talking with the family
to see how much they're willing to open up the project, so I don't want to
share the link on the listserv, but they're not hesitant re: sharing amongst
interested parties. If anyone beside Dan is interested, please feel free to
drop me a line, too)>

~Perian

Perian Sully
Project Manager: Digital Asset Management & Online Access
Balboa Park Online Collaborative