Great project, Dan! I love this kind of stuff :)

I'm currently working on something similar for San Diego Museum of Natural History, transcribing field note journals that we had digitized at the Internet Archive. There are three separate projects, but we're working on the software side of things before we start adding functionality. In the past couple of weeks, our interns have transcribed 200 pages, and the developer has added in some visualization for subjects (to see frequency of topics around a central subject) as well as status updates. The software, FromThePage, is available open source (https://github.com/klauberpilot/fromthepage ) and Ben Brumfield, the developer, is really responsive to change requests, so we've really come a long way since December. We're looking to follow a similar model as you propose, for these journals, as well as some 1905 bird counts that will link to a contemporary count for comparison.

Please contact me privately for the link to the Klauber journal transcription project and the user manual/walkthrough to see how it works and if it'd be a fit for your project (we're still talking with the family to see how much they're willing to open up the project, so I don't want to share the link on the listserv, but they're not hesitant re: sharing amongst interested parties. If anyone beside Dan is interested, please feel free to drop me a line, too)>

~Perian

Perian Sully
Project Manager: Digital Asset Management & Online Access
Balboa Park Online Collaborative