From:
Kate Desulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 08:49:44 -0500
On July 26, Marsha Matthews ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>We are currently putting our collections records on computer using Argus.
> I have two data entry positions for two years that I have filled through
>a local grant.  One year of their employment has past.  By next June,
>while we'll be that much farther ahead we won't be done.  I was told that
>if I wanted to continue the positions I would have to find the funds
>myself.  Going back to the local granting agency is not an option.  Does
>anyone out there have any ideas about funding this kind of position? NEH
>Division of Preservation and Access might be an option, provided they're
>there, but their funding cycle doesn't coincide with what I need.

Have you looked at the idea of hiring a work-study student from a local
college or university?  Work-study students are inexpensive to hire because
a large percentage of their salary is paid by the university.  You probably
won't get a "free" staffer, but you might get someone who's interested and
enthusiastic about having a job (museums always make fun places to work!)
and willing to work for a minimal salary.

Good luck!

Kate

Kate Desulis                         (312) 322-0821 phone
The Adler Planetarium                (312) 322-2257 fax
1300 S. Lake Shore Drive             [log in to unmask]
Chicago, Illinois 60605