From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:39:51 -0500
     I highly recommend the University of Rochester's internships in Europe
     program.  You don't need to be a University of Rochester student to
     participate.  I wasn't and about half of the other people I was with
     that semester weren't either.  Through that program I was placed in an
     absolutely wonderful internship in the curatorial department of the
     Royal Armouries, HM Tower of London.  What was so great about that
     internship was that I was the only intern they had so I got to do lots
     of really cool stuff.  University of Rochester also arranges wonderful
     housing right on the Thames.  If you'd like any more information about
     this program check out the University of Rochester's web site or feel
     free to e-mail me.

     Good luck finding a paid internship.  Paid museum internships are
     about as rare to find in the UK as they are in the US.  Also, I would
     think if a UK museum had a paid internship that they would give it to
     a UK student over a US student -- just my opinion.  You can certainly
     find other temporary jobs in the UK to earn a few bucks, but don't
     count on a paid museum internship.

     Laura McMann Mahoney

     I will be graduating this May with a degree in Art History.  I'm
     interested in taking a year off before I go for my Master's in Arts
     Administration or Museum Studies.  I was wondering if anyone has
     information on internship or employment opportunities in museums and
     galleries in the UK.  I have found information on programs sponsored
     by American universities that support internships abroad; however, I'm
     interested in making money when working.

     I would greatly appreciate any information or advice!