From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 04:41:42 -0700
--- thomas w kavanagh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [it was very strange to
> be sitting in front of an A-tent wearing knee britches and a waist-coat
> and watch the Concorde fly overhead on its first flight to DC])

Yeah, I know that feeling. I do Roman living history events (Legio XX) and it's
really surreal to be in our Roman camp complete with the only replica Roman
leather tent in the US and replica caupona all set up next to a Georgian
mansion. (I also know Sully well and have done several events there. With the
airport so near, it kind of ruins the period ambiance. :)

> For none of those events was I paid real hard cash. At best, I could
> expect some food, cooked or uncooked (even Indian pow-wow sponsors provide
> "rations") and a pound or so of black-powder.

For the movies, I expect to get paid just like any other extra. That's a pet
peeve of mine. If it's a non-profit type of movie that no one is getting paid
to do, that's one thing. But if it's a full budget movie where everyone else is
getting paid, then I expect the going rate for extras plus a fee for costume
and equipment rentals in addition to getting fed and overtime if applicable.
For years, movie companies have been duping reenactors to be extras for a few
meals and the hope of getting a half-second of screen time. If reenactors
weren't stupid enough to do the gigs for free, movie companies have no problems
with getting guys off the street, paying them around $100/day, and renting
costumes and props for them.

This goes for museum sites as well. If a movie company came in and used a
public building, they would pay a fee and leave the place spotless. But I've
seen movie companies trash museum and private sites because the
owners/directors, weren't smart enough to get a signed contract and demand a
usage fee.

And always, *always* get a contract, even if you aren't getting paid because if
something happens, you want to be stuck with repair bills or increased
insurance premiums because of someone else's negligence.

Deb