From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 15:55:07 -0700
--- Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> While cleaning up these muddy puddles, it occured to
> me if people took off their shoes when entering, it
> might be actually better from a conservation
> standpoint and easier on the carpeted areas.

I visited a school in Iceland and everyone took off their shoes when they
entered the building - students, teachers, and staff - because it was always
sloppy weather. The kids ran around in their socks and the teachers had shoes
that they only wore indoors like a pair of Tevas or clogs. I thought to myself
if we ever did that here in the US, sooner or later a school would get sued by
the parents of a kid who cracked their head open from running in the hallways.

> Just as a matter of interest: A few years ago I shared
> a house with a woman who had been a barefooter since
> childhood.  She showed me the Barefooters list serve
> she watched and the Barefooters organization's web
> site.  There are people who feel they have the right
> to be without shoes and lobby to keep that right.

That's going a bit too far IMHO. I'm a barefoot type of person around the house
myself but I wouldn't dream of trapsing around a public building barefoot for
the simple hygene factor. And as someone else mentioned earlier, those of us in
the South had the fear of hookworms (or whatever those stupid grass worms are)
put into us. I couldn't even wear sandals at camp because of it. Closed toed
shoes only.

And having seen some "barefooters", the only thing I have to say to them is
"For the love of God, get a pedicure!!!" Ewww!!

Deb :)