From:
Kristen Reichert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:49:05 -0700
I received a lot of great advice both from Museum-L and Museum-Ed list serves. Here's a list of the most common:

	1. Camper can write a one-page essay and include a picture explaining why they want to come to camp.
	2. Parents fill out a form and show proof of need, such as getting free or reduced lunch, Medicaid, etc., and black out areas that are not needed, such as social security number.
	3. Parents fill out form and include letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, or other organization leader, such as Boys & Girls Clubs, etc.
	4. On form, include a box to check if they receive aid, such as free or reduced lunch, or include income in sections, such as $20,000-$25,000; $25,000-$30,000, etc.
	5. Have the principal of school fill out a form to show proof that the child is on free or reduced lunch.
	6. Have a Family Resource Coordinators (or other social workers) at several Title One schools to nominate students who were good, hard-working kids - but who they knew couldn’t afford a camp.  They presented the scholarship as an award to those students and then the parents signed them up.
	7. Award scholarships on a first-come, first-served basis to avoid asking income.
	8. Offer partial scholarships to ensure the camper will come (if the parents pay even a small amount, they are more likely to bring their kids), maybe 50% or 75%.
	9. Be sure to reserve spots for those getting scholarships, because of the time it takes to fill out forms.
Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Kristen Reichert
Program Coordinator
Bell County Museum