From:
"Thomas A. Reitz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:43:17 -0400
No doubt others will suggest this ... I would suggest you do a web search on
the "Canadian Heritage Information Network" (sorry I don't have their URL
handy) and then look at their reviews of collections software.  They've
published two reviews (one in 1996 and one earlier this year) reviewing many
collections management software packages. The published books are invaluable
if you're looking at commercially available packages. Good luck.

At 07:33 AM 9/10/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear museum colleagues
>
>A colleague of mine at the Local History Museum in Durban has asked me about
>commercially available software for collections management. I know about a
>number of products but have no idea of relative costs.
>
>I have heard of:        Argus
>                        Multi-mimsy
>                        Collection
>
>I have also heard mention of `Collections Large' and `Collections Small'.
>Are these versions of Collection or something quite different.
>
>Are there other commercially available programs anwhat is the ballpark cost
>per user?
>
>Please reply to me directly as I know this has often been discussed on the
>list but I have seen little mention of pricing.
>
>Thanks very much
>
>Glyn Balkwill

>* Glyn Balkwill                                Tel (w)  : 27 (0)12 341-1320   *
>* Deputy Director, Collections Management      Tel (h)  : 27 (0)12 664-1973   *
>* National Cultural History Museum             Cell     : 27 (0)82 770-7826   *
>* PO Box 28088                                 Fax      : 27 (0)12 341-6146   *
>* SUNNYSIDE                                    Email    : [log in to unmask]     *
>* 0132  RSA
>*
>*                                                                             *
>* Any opinions expressed are strictly my own                                  *

Thomas A. Reitz
Manager/Curator
Doon Heritage Crossroads
R.R. #2