From:
"Thomas A. Reitz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:01:32 -0400
Geoff, et al ...

Sorry I failed to mention that CHIN does indeed charge for the collection
management software reviews.  And in the world of tight budgets they aren't
inexpensive.  However, I can tell you that it is money well spent if you are
contemplating investing $10 to $20,000 or more on a software package.  How
much money will you spend, or your staff members, contacting potential
suppliers, uploading their demo disks, phone calls and emails and faxes to
companies around the world to clarify what their product will and won't do,
etc ... surely the staff time and money spent on such an internal review
would be better spent purchasing the CHIN review.  Guess you'll have to decide.

And for those who make assumptions ... rest assured I do not work for CHIN.

Regards

At 01:11 PM 9/17/97 +1200, you wrote:
>Thomas A. Reitz wrote:
>>
>> No doubt others will suggest this ... I would suggest you do a web search on
>> the "Canadian Heritage Information Network" (sorry I don't have their URL
>> handy) and then look at their reviews of collections software.  They've
>> published two reviews (one in 1996 and one earlier this year) reviewing many
>> collections management software packages. The published books are invaluable
>> if you're looking at commercially available packages. Good luck.
>
>He didn't  mention that the information is only available ONLINE or
>elsewhere upon payment of a considerable profit-taking FEE.
>

>--
>Geoff Read <[log in to unmask]>

Thomas A. Reitz
Manager/Curator