From:
Charles Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 16:30:17 EDT
We've a ca. 1770 center passage house with a ca. 1790 interior painting
scheme. During the mid-1970's restoration, a drop ceiling was removed from what
was presumed to be a Colonial era parlor, and an  unpainted "raw" section of
the ceiling and beams (that double as  joists & floorboards for the second
floor), extending approximately three  meters out and above the end hearth, running
wall to wall, was  exposed. All other hearth areas in the home have painted
ceilings.

It's been our understanding that such areas were left unfinished to mask  the
soot/smoke of the fireplace, or to alleviate the problem of a painted finish
bubbling with the heat. Tradition informs us that the owner was a licensed
tavern keeper, and that he not only did some cooking in the room, but might
also have used the arrangement for  the smoking of hams et al  (supposedly, a
screen or apron suspended from the ceiling prevented the smoke  from wafting to
the other rooms). Another speculation: a bar cage was swung down  from the
beam, securing the intoxicants before and after business hours; the  restoration
architect indicated to me that there were indeed some tantalizing  clues,
suggestions of an old framework, that point to such a scenario. (I  believe the
Raleigh Tavern at Colonial Williamsburg has both a bar cage and  unpainted
ceiling; however, that arrangement does not seem to block off the  hearth, as ours
would have seemingly done).

It's all very intriguing, and makes for a lively tour, but we would  really
like to try to "clear up the smoke" with the conundrum that  literally hangs
over our heads. Your thoughts solicited ... and greatly  appreciated!

Chuck Jacobs
Curator
The (Colonel) Joel Lane Museum House
"The Birthplace of Raleigh, North Carolina"