We've a ca. 1770 center passage house with a ca. 1790 interior painting scheme. During the mid-1970's restoration, a drop ceiling was removed from what was presumed to be a Colonial era parlor, and an unpainted "raw" section of the ceiling and beams (that double as joists & floorboards for the second floor), extending approximately three meters out and above the end hearth, running wall to wall, was exposed. All other hearth areas in the home have painted ceilings.

It's been our understanding that such areas were left unfinished to mask the soot/smoke of the fireplace, or to alleviate the problem of a painted finish bubbling with the heat. Tradition informs us that the owner was a licensed tavern keeper, and that he not only did some cooking in the room, but might also have used the arrangement for  the smoking of hams et al (supposedly, a screen or apron suspended from the ceiling prevented the smoke from wafting to the other rooms). Another speculation: a bar cage was swung down from the beam, securing the intoxicants before and after business hours; the restoration architect indicated to me that there were indeed some tantalizing clues, suggestions of an old framework, that point to such a scenario. (I believe the Raleigh Tavern at Colonial Williamsburg has both a bar cage and unpainted ceiling; however, that arrangement does not seem to block off the hearth, as ours would have seemingly done).

It's all very intriguing, and makes for a lively tour, but we would really like to try to "clear up the smoke" with the conundrum that literally hangs over our heads. Your thoughts solicited ... and greatly appreciated!

Chuck Jacobs
Curator
The (Colonel) Joel Lane Museum House
"The Birthplace of Raleigh, North Carolina"