From:
"Brunner, Lane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:33:39 -0600
Hello Sue-

Don't clean your coins, period. You run the risk of damaging them even
if the most "gentle" methods are used. With that said, there are methods
employed by professionals that can conserve coins if they truly need
conserving (and most often the coins do not or they are beyond
conservation). Tarnished and dark is perfectly okay as oxidation is
normal for copper and silver coins (gold will rarely "tarnish").
Removing the toning (as it is referred to by numismatists) to make a
coin "shiny" is not a good idea as it will likely damage the surface of
the coin and multiple cleanings will cause significant damage.

If you have images of the coins, you can forward them to us and we can
give you our opinion about whether or not you should seek professional
conservation. Although images are not the best, it sure beats having to
send them to us.

Lane

----------------
Lane J. Brunner, Ph.D.