Hello Sue-

Don’t clean your coins, period. You run the risk of damaging them even if the most “gentle” methods are used. With that said, there are methods employed by professionals that can conserve coins if they truly need conserving (and most often the coins do not or they are beyond conservation). Tarnished and dark is perfectly okay as oxidation is normal for copper and silver coins (gold will rarely “tarnish”). Removing the toning (as it is referred to by numismatists) to make a coin “shiny” is not a good idea as it will likely damage the surface of the coin and multiple cleanings will cause significant damage.

If you have images of the coins, you can forward them to us and we can give you our opinion about whether or not you should seek professional conservation. Although images are not the best, it sure beats having to send them to us.

Lane

----------------
Lane J. Brunner, Ph.D.
Deputy Executive Director