Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 12:15:53 -0400
u your state archives or get in touch with your state dept of
Agriculture.Look into Nitrogen gas as a suffocant.It is considered
harmless in reasonable use within a museum.The cost is not the gas but
the special films used that prevent gas ase look up a Merck Index
I am having problems seeing what I am typing .Dr.Marc Gilberg at the
Getty in California can give you more info.I am sorry I do not have his
address here.Len Hambleton-Objects Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
Net address is History @Nando.Net. I will be out of the country until
16th.Methyl Bromide sets off alarm bells for me as a
conservator.Nitrogen gas is cheap.You will need a portable Chamber like
Rentokils in Britain. I have all the info but am not at my desk right
now.You will also need a Oxygen meter with fine probe to see if nitrogen
has displaced oxygen in bag or chamber that artifact is placed.Also for
small items try Ageless Z from Conservation Materials in Sparks Nevada
.It is a Mitsubishi Product.Bye for now
Regards Lenin6 8