From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 12:09:45 -0400
On         Wed, 4 Oct 1995 Mary Christine Devinney <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>My husband works for an internet provider and he feels that its about the
>same as the amount of junk mail you get at home!  At least on the internet

>the bums aren't waisting paper! and printing their junk on stuff that
can't
>be recycled, its a small consideration but hay its the best I can come up
>with :)
>
>Chrissie

Chrissie,

This was not just junk mail but inflamatory racist trash.  Commercial
messages are just something you must put up with, but hate mail that stabs
at the heart of the ethic of fairness and equality that we hold so dear in
America is especially insidious, and wounding.  The "crusader" piece was
especially pernicious because it was carefully wrapped in the style of
rational and responsible discourse so to confuse the naive reader.

People have a right to think such stuff, write such stuff and distrubute
such stuff to willing recipients.  But when it comes unwanted into your
house, into the privacy and safety of your life, it is not just junk mail.
It is poison.

For some people it is easy to dismiss these messages when they themselves
are not the target.  But only the fool hides behind that permeable shield.
To maintain our ideals of equality and equal opportunity and to perserve
our individual freedoms from gnawing prejudice, we must act as if a stone
cast against one person's house is a stone cast against our own.

The victims of hate of one of us are all of us.
--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93, Larchmont, NY 10538