From:
"DOWNS, Trish" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:05:00 E
Doug
What an interesting idea ie your question: <... is 'virtual exhibit' an
oxymoron?>

The unique 'product' possessed by museums and which we presume gives the
museum its special quality is its objects ie the museum has 'the REA:L
thing'. So how can this uniqueness be conveyed by virtual exhibitions.

What implications arise from the presentation of exhibitions via the
internet .  Perhaps it would be a means of advertising the product and,
hence, attract audiences to view the 'real thing'. Perhaps this would be the
only way some audiences can  be reached and access to a virtual exhibition
is better than no access at all.

But to get back to the original question  - Is 'virtual exhibit' an
oxymoron. I think it must be if we take 'exhibit' to mean something
tangible. Can an image on a computer screen be an 'exhibit'?  And 'virtual'
 - doesn't this mean almost the same as 'the real thing'?

I've kicked off the topic suggested by Doug. Does anyone else want to pitch
in?

Trish Downs
Museum of Victoria
Melbourne Australia