From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 05:37:36 -0800
I have communicated my frustrations with John's
request privately.  I recognize he is in a lose/lose
situation as am I.  There is now an artificial
constraint superimposed on me that no other lister
has.

Be that as it may, please save this post for future
reference.  You may need this information down the
road.

o  JOB OPPORTUNITIES--I have been providing these from
the Philanthrophy Journal Online's newspage,
Idealist.org, Yahoo Alerts, and the Charity Channel.
You can sign up for each of these sources yourself.
If there is a demand for where to go, ask me
privately, and tomorrow's one note will include where
to go to look.  You can personalize the alerts for
Idealist and Yahoo specifically to your state/area;
Charity Channel and Philanthrophy Journal Online, you
will just have to wade through.  In Yahoo, I had
alerts set for museum, zoo, aquarium, library, and
garden.

o  FUNDING SOURCES--I have been providing these from
the http://www.pagnet.info newsletter (formerly
http://www.frommgroup.com) and from the RFP bulletin
available through the Philanthrophy News Network.  You
can sign up for each of these if you have an interest
in funding matters.

o  GENERAL NONPROFIT INFORMATION--As I explained
today, much of the information requested here can be
found on the Charity Channel.  See my post of 01/26/02
concerning that matter.

o  MATTERS OF LAW--Much of the employment law and
other legal matters are either borne of personal
experience, career history, disability advocacy,
and/or research online.  In order to find information
with which you are not familiar, go to
http://www.findlaw.com (US listers).  There are
newsletters to which you can subscribe to stay abreast
with current rulings.  You may wish to subscribe to
those for your own state and for your appellate
district.  If you do not know in which district you
reside, ask me privately, and I'll dig out the map.

o  PERIODICALS--The periodicals I have used to produce
articles of interest to the list have been as follows:
 NY Times, NY Post, Sacramento Bee, Richmond Times,
Seattle Times, Tampa Bay Online, and the Los Angeles
Times (among others).  Each of these has some sort of
automated newsletter to which you can subscribe.  If
you have other interests and/or need the links, please
refer to http://www.newspaperlinks.com

o  DISABILITY POINTERS--I'm afraid I don't have a good
link for this one except to contact me privately.
There are a number of fora and resources out there,
but most of the info I have given you is the byproduct
of years of discussion and personal research.  My best
advice on that one is to contact Terrie Nolinske on
list.  She has an excellent consultancy in getting
your facility to ADA guidelines.  In the alternative,
you can also go to the Janweb site for assistance.

o  INTERNET TIPS--Most of the information in this
regard, such as http://www.yourdictionary.com or any
of the search engines come from Tourbus, a free, twice
weekly, one page newsletter available at
http://www.tourbus.com  If you've never subscribed and
you use the internet, you're cheating yourself.

o  RABBITS OUT OF HATS SOURCES--For those of you who
have asked questions for which the information wasn't
already obvious, there are three/four search engines I
have used to assist you.  Primarily, I use
http://www.ixquick.com  It's fast, it's clean, and I
like it because it launches a new browser for each
link instead of having to hit the back key or do a new
search if you've really followed a path.

http://www.google.com is, of course, another good
resource, though you do have to hit the back key.
It's benefit is that you can also pull up a document
potentially otherwise lost to you by using the cache
function.  In the alternative, you can also get
governmental information by using
http://www.google.com/sam

Tourbus reported recently that
http://www.alltheweb.com is fast on the heels of
Google's success.  I've used it before and found it of
value.

o  MENTORING--I will finish off the series.  It will
be up to someone else to pick up with this matter in
the future.

I want to thank all who have given me their support,
but frankly, it's not worth the hassle now. Unable to
use the automated features of many of the resources'
mailing functions is turning this into an unfunded
job. Having to compile his into a newsletter or
website asks more than I feel I want to do at the
moment.

The last time this thread came up, it was costing me
10 and 12 hour days of email just to keep up and
putting me behind in a few of my other sources.  I
don't regret having met a one of you (and one of you
has especially become most dear), but I'm not going to
endure the harrassment or the embarrassment further.

I will lurk and be here if someone needs me. Please
save the information post for future reference.

I've given you the best information I can to help you.
 Please help yourselves by putting it to good use.

--- John Suau <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As a compromise, since several people have expressed
> real appreciation for
> the CONTENT of the INDIGO messages and the
> complaints seem to be about the
> NUMBER of posting from INDIGO...
>
> Indigo, could you possibly collect your postings for
> the day in ONE message
> (or maybe TWO, maximum) with your usual job
> openings, etc.?  That may solve
> the problem.
>
> Thanks for at least trying to minimize the exchanges
> like the ones we are
> having ABOUT you, Indigo.  I appreciate your
> assistance in helping the newer
> listers out.
>
> John Suau
> Manager, Meetings, Professional Education, and
> Diversity
> American Association of Museums

=====
Indigo Nights