From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:53:47 -0800
Consider the wisdom of Eleanor Roosevelt:

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

AND

No one can make you feel inferior without your
consent.

To that, factor in the words of Albert Einstein:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not
everything that counts can be counted. "

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human
stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

I cannot believe the overabundance of Amish
Transportation Waste that seems to be flowing past my
screen with my name affixed to it!

I have repeatedly stated that, while Indigo Nights is
but a nom de plume, do you doubt the existence of Mark
Twain or would you have only found value in what he
published had he relied upon the name Samuel Clemens?

I am, inspite of the absolute crudity and rudity of
some of you, a person.  I am a person who has feelings
that some of you might reconsider revisiting once in a
while and decide if you would be so free with your
rather judgmental opinions if it were YOUR name
bandying the list or would you prefer that some
civility would be maintained and people contacted you
privately as you repeatedly requested?  In your quest
to become such a world reknown, pedigreed
professional, did you lose your manners in the
process?

For those of you who had to walk 35 miles in the snow,
draw your water from the crick, and your parents took
you to museums on the backs of dinosaurs, have you
REALLY forgotten what it's like to be a young person
looking for a job?  If you're so God awful smart, I
certainly hope you deign to give us the wisdom of your
knowledge by grabbing one, or maybe a half dozen, of
those desiring to be mentored.

While you grew up in a time when the family was more
intact--save for divorce--and Mother Cleaver was there
with her pearls on and fresh baked cookies, these are
kids who grew up in the latchkey era and often had
parents like you and me--and dammit, I'm 49 and save
for the months mid-October to present, I have worked
31 years of my life (so don't tell me how hard it is
to hold a job and do the right thing)--who were out
working just to be able to provide them things instead
of experiences and caring oversight.  They had to make
an appointment with Grandma just to see her.

So what if you did it the hard way!  These kids are
not whining.  They are asking, asking for help and for
the same kinds of things YOU want:  Information.  And
they are using the same damned tool--and probably one
hell of a lot better (and you would be probably quite
wise to ask them for mentoring advice in that regard
if your ego will allow you to ask someone you presume
to be beneath you for help) that you are.

For those of you who think a FAQ is a fabulous
idea--and I'm not arguing that it isn't, it's a great
idea--you might remember that, a few months ago I
offered to create one and asked for the list's help.
Do you know what I got in return?  The questions, but
not the answers.

You want to say what you think the FAQ should contain,
but how many of you are willing to do completed staff
work?  Excuse me while I finish my self-indulgent
rant. Jesus Christ!  If I did that kind of work in
life, I'd never have survived much less made the kind
of salary I have.

Maybe in some of your more enlightened studies, you
missed a class on time management.  Time management's
most basic precept is you handle each piece of mail
ONE time and dismiss it.  It was what I was fighting
for in those email messages some of you considered
spam.  Do not expect me to create some abstract for
you, and please understand that I've already explained
the rules of copyright, or at least their importance,
so be a love and dig it out yourself in the archives.

MOST of the list is phenomenal.  Some of the best and
the brightest to be found.  Truly a lot of caring
people.

But there are others of you that are so narcistic I
truly wonder if you can find a mirror large enough to
accommodate your ego.

This is an all-purpose list as Patrick pointed out.
Yet some of you time and again want to limit it only
to things that interest YOU.  The problem is as the
rather insidious gentleman pointed out--instead of
contributing true insights about what is ongoing with
security and why in the hell are we still having such
theft in such an enlightened world and how can we
protect our museums from experiencing such
things--There are 2500 members.  How do you craft a
list that meets the personal needs of 2500.  Ever
share a bedroom with a sibling? Now imagine sharing it
with more than 2.5K.

For those of you who have stomped on the young people
enough that some are considering leaving, may I remind
you of (what I remember as) a Nigerian Proverb:

We did not inherit this world.  We are borrowing it
from our children.

Please give them the respect they deserve!

For my dear friend, Roger.  I'm afraid that here in
the states, we're not always as enlightened as we
should be.  My sisters and I now make 70 cents on the
dollar for the exact same job--and sometimes
more--than our brothers make, and those are the lucky
ones not born People of Color, People of Disability,
and People Who Are Different.

I'm afraid the stigma, regrettably, still exists in
many segments of the population, and a strong,
self-confident, opinionated female is often not held
in equal regard.  See definition of a bitch.  I
certainly hope what you reflected is the experience in
New Zealand and that we here soon learn to emulate.

To the young people on list:

Don't you dare leave!  If you need to create a second
forum that discusses some of your specific concerns,
fine, but don't leave me behind (and don't get too
excited, dinosaur riders, I'm staying here, too).
I'll be more than happy to continue to send you the
information on jobs and the like, but I will not start
or run one.

Remember the wisdom of Les Brown:

Shoot for the moon.
Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

So, for goodness sake and for all things good, ask on.
Do your homework and make your requests reasoned and
complete, but do not be intimidated by someone else's
bad manners.

To my supporterss, not to worry.  I am fine.  I am
well. I am still lurking.

I adhere strongly to the wisdom of Eleanor.  No one
has my permission to crawl in my head and make me feel
badly about myself, though there certainly has been an
overabundance of people who have tried this weekend.
For a moment, I was beginning to think my brain was
the tunnel between France and England, and some of you
were illegal immigrants seeking asylum in my mind.  No
jobs and no visas for you in my brain!

If you want to support me, look at the post I did this
morning.  I've given you the sources, though I think I
left the Chicago Tribune off the newspaper section.
Pick up some part of that and YOU post it.  It was
never the quality of my posts to which the naysayers
took objection.  It was the quantity of times my name
went across my screen as though I did it for personal
glory (excuse me while I find the emesis basin).
Somehow I am reminded of Judy Collins:  Isn't it rich?

This morning, I mistook my Johns.  Suau in my mind
became Chadwick.  But, nonetheless, I will go back to
lurking, posting no more than the mentoring posts (one
at a time so that each person has his/her opportunity)
and maybe a synopsis of the days digest after I have
addressed these points.  I have to. I've been holding
back too many phrases that strangely have a phonetic
similarity to brother truckers--and neither of my
brothers is in the trucking industry.

In keeping with your request to consolidate messages,
I've done this in one note.

For those of you who are as upset as am I that rancor
has made a home on the list, I leave you with the
words of the immortal Tupac Shakur:  "Keep Ya Head
Up."  They can't turn this into a "Gangsta's Party" if
we won't let them.

Now I'm going to go shut the truck up.

=====
Indigo Nights