From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:38:25 -0700
No offense to anyone....

But since this is a "LIST," it would be nice to have more discussion on the
issues of our field.  When I first came on the list in 1996-97, there were
hot topics as museology vs. education, how to attract visitors, tourism and
the museum visitor, etc.   In short, there were some' pretty good debate
going on which attracted the interest of most on the list.  But lately, it
has become a personal employment office---help me get a job, or metro this
person or that.

The List, however, has become a "how do I find work in a museum" or looking
at newspaper articles.  I am sure the percentage of post
on those two subjects over powers any other postings.

I totally disagree that we can simply scroll and delete.  It is getting to
the point -- that is all I am doing.  Not much intellecutal or to the point
discussion.  Is not that the purpose of this list or nort?    Create another
list if you want to make this a personal employment agency or to post
newspaper articles.

To me what is going on is spamming; to satisfy the needs of only a few with
articles and answering on how to find work in the field.  How many times do
we have to tell people to look here and there?

And if we want to look at the New York Times, gracious me --- I can get on
the site and look myself.  Just give the http -- and we are smart enough to
look.

People who want employment (which I would sure like myself) can easily look
for employment by doing their own searches, looking at the list-files, and
so forth.  Let's not make this into a museum employment list.

It is getting old to hear the same questions and answers about "how to get
into the field" and very little about the juicy topics of museology and
museum studies.  That was the excitment and good of this list in the past.
Let's return it to a professional list where we can exchange
meaningful conversation about our field.  Please.

Of course, this remains my humble opinion.

Best, John