From:
Sarah Gillis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2019 02:41:25 +0000
Hello,

The best way to store a sword is vertically, with ethafoam on the pointy-bits to avoid self-impalement. The hilts are usually not a worry, unless they are spiky, then they should also have bumpers.  We have sword screens inherited from an armory that our swords and other pole arms are stored against, but I’m sure you can configure something for a painting screen.

You can store it in a box, but need to ensure that there are support points of contact along the blade in order to avoid flexing.

Another option is a gun case, retrofit to accommodate the sword profile rather than the gun profile.

You have a few options! Happy to discuss this further!

Best,
Sarah Gillis
Associate Regiatrar, Collection Documentation

Sent from an infinitesimal location within the universe.