From:
Jack Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2018 23:51:27 -0400
Rachel -​

I agree with Bill that these are objects which likely should never have
been accessioned in the first place. However, ​it does not seem that it was
your call to bring them into the collection. It also seems that you walked
into a complicated situation that involves ethical, legal, and political
(in terms of community/board reaction) considerations. Having worked at a
small-town Museum, also, I can understand the position you are in.

I am not a lawyer so there is not much I can speak to in regard to the
legal issues. I cannot see, however, why you would not be able to dispose
of the objects in whatever manner that your governing body has determined
best for your institution.

Unless there is a person or org in-waiting for these objects, it would be
my judgement to donate them to a local thrift store, given their stated
insignificance to your organization's mission.  Oftentimes, Goodwill or the
Salvation Army offer free pick-up of donations, particularly of large
objects. It does not make sense to me why you would pay to have them taken
elsewhere when you could benefit another non-profit through a contribution
at no financial cost to your org.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Best,

      -Jack