Rachel -​

I agree with Bill that these are objects which likely should never have been accessioned in the first place. However, ​it does not seem that it was your call to bring them into the collection. It also seems that you walked into a complicated situation that involves ethical, legal, and political (in terms of community/board reaction) considerations. Having worked at a small-town Museum, also, I can understand the position you are in.

I am not a lawyer so there is not much I can speak to in regard to the legal issues. I cannot see, however, why you would not be able to dispose of the objects in whatever manner that your governing body has determined best for your institution.

Unless there is a person or org in-waiting for these objects, it would be my judgement to donate them to a local thrift store, given their stated insignificance to your organization's mission.  Oftentimes, Goodwill or the Salvation Army offer free pick-up of donations, particularly of large objects. It does not make sense to me why you would pay to have them taken elsewhere when you could benefit another non-profit through a contribution at no financial cost to your org.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Best,

      -Jack