From:
Danielle Trynoski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:05:48 -0700
Hello!
I would also encourage the Very Short Introduction series; arranged nicely,
easy to read, comprehensive, and written by experts in the field. I studied
under Steve Roskams who authored 'Excavation' in the Cambridge Manuals in
Archaeology series (
http://www.amazon.com/Excavation-Cambridge-Manuals-Archaeology-Roskams/dp/0521355346#).
This series is also well-written but slanted for introductory academic
coursework. Steve worked in commercial archaeology in the UK and Africa and
now teaches at the University of York, a top archaeology school in the UK.
The other books in this series are equal to Steve's. Other archaeologists
who have published comprehensive introductory textbooks are Ian Hodder,
Colin Renfrew, and Paul Bahn. For your visitors who are interested in the
history of disciplines, check out Mortimer Wheeler's books, published
mid-20th century and widely reprinted. Wheeler is considered one of the
fathers of 'modern archaeology.' The British Museum, The Getty, and the
Metropolitan Museum of Art all publish short trade-paperback guides to
important archaeology sites and artifacts which are relatively cheap and
would be perfect for the casual museum visitor or interested amateur.
I'll add the caveat that I've never worked in a museum store, but I did
work in a used bookstore in southern New Mexico and popular items were
short guides to local sites, historic cultures, or natural landscape
elements such as those which a local historical society or birdwatchers'
club might publish. Reach out to your local organizations and see if they
have any self-published materials which you could carry in your museum
store, even if it's just a paper booklet bound with staples or plastic comb
binding. Also expanding the book section of your museum store is a great
opportunity to feature local authors who write about archaeology, history,
or culture and create programming such as lectures, book signings, or
guided tours. Local museum patrons will likely enjoy the access to local
information and tourists from farther afield are coming to enjoy the unique
features of the area.

Have fun with your selection process!

Best wishes,
Danielle Trynoski
Seeking opportunities in the museum and heritage industry in the LA Metro
area