From:
Colin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:31:49 -0700
As Burnaby Village Museum is in the heart of the Greater Vancouver area of
British Columbia, our museum and its neighbouring arts facilities are often
approached by film crews (for feature films, TV series, music videos etc.).
We are a city museum with an outdoor museum village and an operating 1912
Parker carousel in a modern pavilion.

It has been a learning process over the last decade or so and now the City
of Burnaby has developed policy, procedures and forms for filming. I am
replying to the list as a whole as these issues may interest other museums.
People may contact me off-list at [log in to unmask] and I can then
fax or mail them a copy of our 'Filming Procedures'.

Some film crews are good to museums and others are not. The real
professionals don't want to alienate good locations so they will work with
you. New crews, 'fly by night' crews (low budget etc.), and crews put
together for one film only, may be a pain in the neck.  Ignorance on your
part, and lack of damage deposits and signed agreements, can allow them to
walk all over you (and your artifacts), or leave your museum with problems.

The first time you have film stars on you site is neat and novel, and some
museums will bend over backwards to accomodate the film crews. The novelty
does wear off after awhile, though having 'stars' around is always
interesting.

Our "FILMING PROCEDURES" include:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

APPLICATION PROCESS FOR FILMING
* Initial inquiries/Site walk-about
* Formal written request/application fee/certificate of insurance/signed
'hold harmless' agreement
* 'Papering' local area (public relations with neighbours)
* Rates
* Damage deposit

DURING FILMING
* Staff liaison during filming/ability to stop filming/copies of call sheets
daily
* Use/alteration of buildings
* Use of collection
* Lighting
* Special Effects/Fires/Hazardous Materials/Gunfire
* Animals/Food/Smoking
* Access
* Utilities/Services
* Parking
* Code of Conduct

AFTER FILMING
* Inspection
* Damages
* Refunds

FORMS
* Change request form (film crews ALWAYS ask for more than they indicated in
negotiations)
* Set 'Wrapping' Form

Colin Macgregor Stevens
Museum Curator