From:
Colin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 09:27:09 -0700
Harry Needham of Canadian War Museum wrote:

>...The display units normally come with a kind of carpeting as a surface,
to which velcro clings quite well. ...

One brand name of this Velcro type material used on display panels and walls
is BURFAB. Burnaby Village Museum in Canada has used it for both portable
exhibits and semi-permanent exhibits.

You can buy complete display systems as used at conventions (including
folding lightweight styles, and solid modular wall styles) which look very
professional, or you can buy the fabric and mount it yourself on whatever
you want.

Years ago we made some display panels by covering some plywood with BURFAB
and attaching it to new undrilled hollow-core door blanks which we then
assembled into a zig-zag shaped wall by using screw-eyes (horizonatlly as
'hinges') and bolts (vertically as pivot pins). Later, when the budget
improved, we bought a large expensive modular display system for long term
displays out of California.  It is presently on display in the foyer of our
City Hall with history display about our city.

BURFAB is available in a variety of colours and can be expensive, but one
can sometimes buy used BURFAB material from companies that supply displays
and display materials to convention exhibitors.  Due to the cost, BURFAB is
probably most useful to most museums for smaller changing exhibits rather
than lining the walls of entire galleries.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
Museum Curator
Burnaby Village Museum
City of Burnaby,  BC,  CANADA
(604) 293-6500
Business: [log in to unmask]
Museum Webpage:
http://www.burnabyparksrec.org/villagemuseum/villagemuseum.html
Personal: [log in to unmask]  Personal website:
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net