From:
Lee Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:23:24 -0400
Great initiative.

Is there any reason you wouldn't try multiple outlets, such as . . .

- Pinterest
- Flickr
- Facebook (which you noted you already use)
- Twitter
- Slideshare
- Scribd
- YouTube/Vimeo
- HistoryPin
- WhatWasThere

(Note that not all items would make sense for all of these.)

They are all very easy to use, cost only time, and are ideally suited to volunteers or interns.

Use a simple spreadsheet to keep track of engagement (including the day of the week and the time you post, which is especially relevant for Twitter and Facebook).  Do some tests, such as  . . .

- Posting the same thing to each at the same time
- Posting to one or a few, but not the others
- Posting an item to one, and a week later, posting the same item to another

Include some standard text for each and, where possible, a link to the item or discussion of the item on your site.  Use your site's analytics to track where people come from.  (Again, ideally suited to a volunteer or intern.)

My guess is that while you may whittle the list down a little, you'll find that all of these increase discovery and engagement over using just one.

And if you do take this approach, I imagine just about everyone on this list would love to see the results.

Good luck.

   Lee Wright

   Founder  -  The History List  (www.TheHistoryList.com)  -  History Camp (www.HistoryCamp.org)