From:
Erik Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:18:45 -0700
Beverly Serrell's book EXHIBIT LABELS: AN INTERPRETIVE APPROACH is available
from AltaMira Press, a division of Sage Publications.

Order via email ([log in to unmask]), fax (805)499-0871, or phone (805) 499-9774

CONTENTS:Preface/ Foreword / Introduction/ OVERVIEW / 1. Behind It All: A
Big Idea/ 2. What Are "Interpretive" Labels?/ 3. Types of Exhibit Labels/
CONSIDERING THE AUDIENCE / 4. Who Is the Audience (And What Do They Want)?/
5. Learning Styles/ 6. Levels of Information and Modalities/ 7. General Tips
for Visitor-Friendly Label Style/ 8. Selecting the Right Reading Level/ 9.
Bilingual Labels/ 10. Labels That Ask Questions/ TASKS/ 11. Getting Started
(And Getting It Done)/ 12. The Number of Words/ 13. Evaluation During
Development/ 14. Making Words and Images Work Together/ 15. Labels for
Interactive Exhibits/ 16. Electronic Labels and Hypermedia/ 17. Typographic
Design/ 18. Production and Fabrication/ 19. Evaluation After Opening/
SUMMARY/ 20. Ten Deadly Sins and Fourteen Helpful Research Findings

At 04:00 PM 7/29/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I will be happy to send you the materials The Field Museum has developed
>over the years.  You would also do well to contact (if you haven't already)
>Beverly Serell here in Chicago (she has a new book out on labels in museums)
>and Judy Rand (last I heard she was at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium).  The
>Minneapolis Institute of Arts has a nice label handbook, too, though I don't
>know who to contact (I'm trying to get one for myself!)
>
>Eugene W. Dillenburg
>Coordinator, Special Projects
>Exhibits Department
>The Field Museum of Natural History
>Chicago, Illinois  60605-2496
>V: (312) 922-9410 x636
>F: (312) 922-6973
>E: [log in to unmask]
>
>"Never pay more than minimum wage for a shirt."
>
>                                -- Bruce Elliott

Erik Hanson
AltaMira Press
1630 North Main Street #367